‘Widows’ Gillian Flynn On Working With Steve McQueen And Potentially More ‘Sharp Objects’ [Interview]

The Playlist | 11/28/2018 | Gregory Ellwood
Click For Photo: https://theplaylist.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/GillianFlynnSteveMcQueenWidowsPremiere.jpg

Impressively, Gillian Flynn hasn’t turned into a one-screenplay hit wonder. The former television critic made her name as a novelist, but when she adapted her own novel “Gone Girl” into a movie she earned Golden Globe, WGA and BAFTA Awards nominations, among other honors. 2018 has proved her talent for filmed content wasn’t limited to one thriller.

Earlier this summer she adapted another one of her novels, “Sharp Objects,” into a celebrated HBO mini-series starring Amy Adams and Patricia Clarkson. Earlier this month, she helped bring the classic British TV series “Widows” to the screen in a collaboration with director Steve McQueen. And that’s not all. Next year, she’ll oversee the production of “Utopia,” a conspiracy thriller series adapted from another British series she’s currently writing for Amazon’s Prime Video.

Widows - Box - Office - Release - Date

“Widows” may have disappointed at the box office, but a bad release date and wonky marketing strategy aren’t on Flynn’s shoulders. The picture has an 84 on Metacritic and a 91% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. And a large part of its critical success is due to the unique working relationship she formed with McQueen.

Flynn jumped on the phone earlier this month to discuss “Widows” along with notably leaving the door slightly ajar for another “Sharp Objects” season down the road. Maybe.

Gregory - Ellwood - Steve - Side - Story

Gregory Ellwood: I’ve already talked to Steve but, can you tell me your side of the story? How did you come to work on “Widows”?

Gillian Flynn: Well, I knew that he wanted to do that as his next film, after “12 Years a Slave” [but] he just got in touch with me. I was not familiar with “Widows” not having grown up in Britain. But I love [series creator] Lynda La Plante, so I was already excited about that. I watched it and was immediately drawn in. First, by that idea of...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Playlist
Wake Up To Breaking News!
A pox on both their houses!