The Bible Is Authoritative But Not Always Normative

The Aquila Report | 11/25/2018 | Staff
The Old Testament was written in the context of a Hebrew theocracy. The New Testament was written in the context of a small, persecuted church struggling in a pagan Greco-Roman culture. We do not live under the Old Covenant Theocracy, nor do we live as a tiny minority in a Greco-Roman culture. Although everything is authoritative in the Bible, not everything written in both the Old and New Testaments are normative, i.e., true for the church in every age down through history.

The entire Bible is the inerrant, infallible word of God. The Bible is authoritative and fully trustworthy in everything it says.

Book - Revelation - John - Statement - Bible

In my book on the Revelation of John[1], I make the statement that the Bible was written “for us but not to us.” The New Testament (as well as the Old) must always be interpreted in terms of a particular historical context. No, this does not make me a liberal theologian!

As a simple example of the importance of historical context, Paul wrote, “When you come bring the cloak which I left at Troas with Carpus, and the books, especially the parchments (2 Tim 4:13).” This text was written to Timothy and not to me – not to Larry Ball – although it was written for me.

Old - Testament - Context - Hebrew - Theocracy

The Old Testament was written in the context of a Hebrew theocracy. The New Testament was written in the context of a small, persecuted church struggling in a pagan Greco-Roman culture. We do not live under the Old Covenant Theocracy, nor do we live as a tiny minority in a Greco-Roman culture. Although everything is authoritative in the Bible, not everything written in both the Old and New Testaments are normative, i.e., true for the church in every age down through history.

In Professor John Frame’s book The Escondido Theology [2] he makes the following...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Aquila Report
Wake Up To Breaking News!
To despair is to turn your back on God, you can never despair.
Tagged: