‘Ralph Breaks the Internet’: How Disney Animation Is Coping with Change

IndieWire | 11/21/2018 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/WIR2-RGB-468.0_006.00_0274_FINAL.jpg

In “Ralph Breaks the Internet,” Ralph (John C. Reilly) and Vanellope (Sarah Silverman) come to the realization that they each have different needs and that the world is quickly changing around them, including the Millennial role of the Disney Princesses.

“Ralph Breaks the Internet”

Change - Studio - Ralph - Director - Rich

“I think there is great change going on at the studio,” said “Ralph” director Rich Moore. “It’s that feeling of ‘we’re still trying to do the same things, but different.’ Jen is doing a great job as our creative leader as well as balancing ‘Frozen 2.’ I look at our creative slate and there’s great stories and great leadership that comes from different points of view.”

“I think what we’re going to see most in the coming years is continuing the foundation at its best, but we are empowering people with different voices and different points of view,” added Phil Johnston, the “Wreck-It Ralph” and “Zootopia” screenwriter-turned-director on “Breaks the Internet.”

Outsiders - Lee - Moore - Johnston - Consummate

As former outsiders, Lee, Moore, and Johnston have now become the consummate insiders, well aware of the risks and opportunities of coping with change. With “Ralph Breaks the Internet,” Disney’s first sequel during this new golden age, the challenge was not getting swallowed up by the Internet, the studio’s most ambitious and complex piece of animated world building.

“Ralph Breaks the Internet”

Core - Story - Friendship - Johnston - Toxic

“At its core is a simple story about friendship,” Johnston said. “It gets a little toxic and then changes and, hopefully, gets better. But when we first realized that the Internet is where we wanted to base this thing, it’s limitless. How do you tell a simple story in the biggest world you could ever imagine? It was bumpy getting here, but ‘Zootopia’ was...
(Excerpt) Read more at: IndieWire
Wake Up To Breaking News!
You've go to put up with Free Speech to have Free Speech!