Care worker, 30, caught stealing cash from 83-year-old dementia sufferer's purse escapes jail

Mail Online | 11/16/2018 | James Wood;Joel Adams For Mailonline
bab_ohhbab_ohh (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2018/11/16/14/6276878-0-image-a-2_1542378668440.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2018/11/14/8226145091360699017/1024x576_MP4_8226145091360699017.mp4

A carer has avoided a jail sentence despite being caught on camera brazenly stealing money from an elderly dementia sufferer in her care.

Sophy Retallick was spotted on CCTV taking cash from the purse of 83-year-old Ivy, whose full identity is being protected by her family.

Ivy - Son - Money - CCTV - Cameras

Ivy's son noticed she had less money than usual so installed CCTV cameras in his mothers home in Truro, Cornwall, and caught Retallick in the act.

Retallick, 30, appeared at Truro Magistrates' Court on Monday where she pleaded guilty to the theft.

Court - End - Year - Family - Woman

The court heard that at the end of last year the family of the woman began to notice that money was going missing from her purse with no corresponding receipts in Ivy' purse.

The son checked the carer log details, and noticed that Retallick was the person who was signing in to care for her when the money was going missing.

CCTV - Footage - Retallick - Woman - Purse

After checking the CCTV footage, Retallick was caught taking the woman's purse from a window sill in the kitchen.

It happened again in May, when Retallick was seen on camera putting her hand in the woman's handbag and removing something, and again when she was filmed removing the woman's purse from the kitchen window sill.

Retallick - Police - Interview - Crimes - 'I

Retallick was reported to police, attended an interview and admitted her crimes, claiming: 'I wanted to stop, but I couldn't help myself.

'Something would always come up. I wish I had never let it get out of hand. I'm truly sorry for what I have done.'

Alison - May - Prosecution - 'She - Employment

Alison May, for the prosecution, said: 'She said she had recently acquired employment, and described a list of medications she struggled to pay for. She took the opportunity to take the money.'

In mitigation, solicitor Patrick Haynes said: 'When her husband got a new job, the increase income affected their benefits. She suffers from manic depression and severe asthma. She...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
"Those who stand for nothing fall for anything." - Alexander Hamilton