Nobody Wrote About Hollywood Better Than William Goldman

IndieWire | 11/17/2018 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/the-princess-bride-1987.jpg

William Goldman — screenwriter, script doctor, novelist, and journalist, the man who assured us that nobody knows anything and whose memory will always be entwined with the Sundance name — has died at the age of 87. And we miss him already.

Back in the ’60s, the Columbia literature grad was the writer of sexy novels you stole from the grownups and read with a flashlight under the covers (“Boys and Girls Together,” “The Temple of Gold”). Most cinephiles have on their bookshelf his classic, “Adventures in the Screen Trade,” and its sequel, “Which Lie Did I Tell?” along with the Oscar-winning screenplays for “Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid” and “All the President’s Men” and another classic, “The Princess Bride,” which he adapted from his fantasy novel and which many parents still read to their kids.

Goldman - Characters - Careers - Paul - Newman

Goldman created memorable characters that would define the careers of Paul Newman, Dustin Hoffman, and Robert Redford (the Sundance Kid lives on as the Sundance Institute and its film festival), not to mention “Princess Bride” star Mandy Patinkin, who still loves to repeat the line “My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.”

“All the President’s Men”

Goldman - Thriller - Marathon - Man - Book

Goldman could also craft a tight thriller like “Marathon Man” (adapted from his book) or Oscar-winner “Misery,” adapted from Stephen...
(Excerpt) Read more at: IndieWire
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Nie wieder, unelected bureaucrat's running our country