Marcia Fudge under spotlight as Pelosi Speaker fight heats up

TheHill | 11/16/2018 | Melanie Zanona and Mike Lillis
boti (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://thehill.com/sites/default/files/fudgemarcia_041818gn_lead.jpg

Rep. Marcia Fudge is in a serious bind as she faces mounting pressure to challenge Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) for the Speaker’s gavel — a move that could divide the Ohio Democrat's allegiances between the insurgency she supports and the Black Caucus she once led.

A group of anti-Pelosi insurgents has been ramping up efforts to recruit Fudge, a former chairwoman of the Congressional Black Caucus (CBC), amid criticism that the majority-male cohort is trying to oust the top-ranking female Democrat in the “Year of the Woman.”

Pelosi - Allies - Rebels - Guys - Play

Pelosi allies have been deriding the rebels as “five white guys,” a play on comments Pelosi made earlier this year referring to the five male leaders involved in immigration reform talks.

Rep. Tim Ryan (D-Ohio), a Pelosi detractor, has urged Fudge to mount a serious challenge. She appeared receptive to the idea but has not yet made a decision.

Fudge - Pelosi - Critic - CNN - Thursday

"I'm still thinking about it," Fudge, a fellow Pelosi critic, told CNN on Thursday night as she stood outside her Capitol office. She added that she has been "overwhelmed" by the number of members encouraging her to run.

But weighing heavily on Fudge’s mind is the fact that a bid for the Speakership could hurt the accession of Rep. Jim Clyburn (D-S.C.), the highest-ranking black lawmaker in the caucus, who is vying for the majority whip post.

Clyburn - Thursday - Pelosi - Rep - Steny

Clyburn said Thursday that he, Pelosi and Rep. Steny Hoyer (D-Md.), the minority whip, are part of a cohesive team. If Pelosi falls, Clyburn suggested, he and Hoyer would fall with her.

“She would be a threat to me as well. … Because I really believe we have put together a team,” Clyburn said. “I’m supporting that team. And that team is Pelosi, Hoyer and Clyburn.”

Clyburn - Fudge - Race

Clyburn emphasized, however, that he is not discouraging Fudge from entering the race.

“I would never tell anybody not to...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TheHill
Wake Up To Breaking News!