Sam Raimi Almost Made ‘Thor’ in 1991, Originally Didn’t Want Stan Lee in ‘Spider-Man’

/Film | 11/15/2018 | Ethan Anderton
Click For Photo: https://d13ezvd6yrslxm.cloudfront.net/wp/wp-content/images/samraimi-directing-spiderman-roof.jpg

Nowadays you can’t swing a dead cat without hitting a comic book movie in theaters every few months. ****, nowadays you can’t swing a dead cat period. But at one time, comic book movies were not considered to be lucrative prospects at the box office, and plenty of opportunities to bring some of the biggest superheroes of the big screen today to theaters were turned down without hesitation.

In fact, long before he got a chance to bring Spider-Man to the big screen for the first time, director Sam Raimi was lined up to bring another Marvel Comics superhero to theaters instead: the god of thunder himself, Thor.

Hollywood - Reporter - Statement - Sam - Raimi

The Hollywood Reporter has a statement from Sam Raimi following the passing of Stan Lee, and the director revealed that the Marvel Comics legend reached out about working together all the way back in 1991. Raimi recalled:

“After I did Darkman, Stan Lee called me and was like, ‘Hey, kid, I liked your movie.’ He took me out to lunch and said we should work together. I said I’d like to make a movie about Thor. We worked together writing treatments and took it to Fox and pitched it. And they said, “Absolutely no. Comic books don’t make good movies.”

Thor - Signature - Avengers - Solo - Franchise

As we all know, Thor has gone on to be one of the signature superheroes on The Avengers, even if his solo franchise wasn’t much to write home about until director Taika Waititi recently spiced things up with Thor: Ragnarok. But Thor has turned Chris Hemsworth into a Hollywood superstar. Even so, it’s a shame we never got to see what Sam Raimi might have accomplished with Thor in the ’90s.

It’s insane to think there was a time when movie studios didn’t see the box office potential for doing big budget superhero movies. But then again,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: /Film
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Individuals can exist without government but government can't exist without individuals.