‘Haunting of Hill House’ Ending: That ‘Inception’-Style Easter Egg You Probably Missed Spells Doom

IndieWire | 11/14/2018 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/HOHH_105_Unit_01251R-1-2.jpg

Netflix’s addictive horror series “The Haunting of Hill House” comes to a relatively happy ending given all the terror that occurs to the Crain family throughout the 10-episode season. The finale ends with patriarch Hugh (Timothy Hutton) sacrificing himself so that his adult children — Steve (Michiel Huisman), Shirley (Elizabeth Reaser), Theo (Kate Siegel) and Luke (Oliver Jackson-Cohen) — can escape the eponymous house’s evil red room.

Throughout the series, the red room feeds on the Crain family’s individual fears and desires in order to permanently trap each family member inside the house. The show ends by making it appear the Crain siblings have escaped the house and can now put their horrific experience behind them, but what if that’s not the case at all? The Wrap recently spoke with cast member Oliver Jackson-Cohen about the show’s ending, and he revealed a crucial easter egg that makes the “Hill House” ending far more “Inception”-like than meets the eye.

Thing - Red - Room - Jackson-Cohen - Right

“There’s this thing that happens when we’re all in the Red Room,” Jackson-Cohen said. “I feel like I have to be careful if I’m saying this right. But whenever each child, each sibling, is in the Red Room, something in the fantasy is red. And it’ll be a very, very small thing. For Luke, when Luke gets taken to the hotel room, he’s worn Converse throughout the show, and all of a sudden his Converse are red. And it’s so...
(Excerpt) Read more at: IndieWire
Wake Up To Breaking News!
You've go to put up with Free Speech to have Free Speech!