Cairo Film Connection Mixes Established, Emerging Talent

Variety | 11/13/2018 | Nick Vivarelli
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2018/11/the-woodman.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

An ample assortment of new Arab cinema will be on display at the revived Cairo Film Connection where new projects by established helmers including Egypt’s Osama Fawzy (“I Love Cinema”), Iraq’s Koutaiba Al-Janabi (“Leaving Baghdad”), and Syria’s Soudade Kaadan (“The Day I Lost My Shadow”) will be vying for more than $100,000 in prizes with works from promising up and comers.

The 17 CFC projects in various stages from Egypt, Lebanon, Libya, Tunisia, Jordan, Palestine Algeria, Syria, and Morocco, were selected out of 107 submissions. They comprise dramas, docs, and potentially groundbreaking genre films with gravitas such as black comedy “Inshallah a Boy,” by Jordanian first-timer Amjad Al Rasheed, about a widow who due to Islamic Sharia law finds herself in dire need of a male child to stop her in-laws from taking possession of her home.

Al - Rasheed - Talents - Alumni - Press

Al Rasheed, who is a Berlinale Talents alumni, said in press notes that he grew up in a family consisting mostly of women where he listened to their stories “about separation, infidelity, mistreatment, sacrifice and even abuse” which made him determined to use filmmaking “to highlight women’s struggles…and their coping strategies.”

Another project with fresh tropes being showcased at CFC is musical “When We’re Born” which interweaves three tales of people doing things for those they love: Amin, who works as a male prostitute to “fulfill his wife’s dream of an apartment”; Farah, a devout Christian who struggles with her love for a Muslim man; and Ahmed, a talented musician contending with a beloved father who has other career plans for him. Developed by the Sundance Lab, this pic, now in post, is helmed by Tamer Ezzat who co-directed doc “Tahrir 2011: The Good, The Bad, and The Politician”...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!