Steve Ballmer says Google, Facebook should engage more with regulators

CNET | 11/12/2018 | Shara Tibken
cyanbyte (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet3.cbsistatic.com/img/oj5hPmGw-lX41I0CyYWiapWfvxw=/724x407/2018/11/12/e31ecdd7-cf16-421f-bd1b-90e822094bb8/gettyimages-1056074630.jpg

Steve Ballmer, the former CEO of Microsoft, talks Monday with the Wall Street Journal's Joanna Stern during the WSJ D.Live conference.

Google and Facebook should engage with regulators so they don't face tougher repercussions later, the former CEO of Microsoft advised Monday.

Companies - Ballmer - Experience - Tells

"Companies will continue to get looked at," Ballmer said. "My own experience tells me we would have been better doing a little more than we wanted to early."

Ballmer would know what it's like to face scrutiny by regulators. He oversaw Microsoft in 2002, when a federal judge concluded the company violated antitrust laws by leveraging its monopoly position in operating systems to capture the market for web browsers.

Microsoft - CEO - Ballmer - Company - Bill

Microsoft's second CEO, Ballmer led the company after Bill Gates stepped down in 2000 until 2014. During his tenure helming the company, he helped launch the Xbox video game console and Bing search engine, and steered the company toward what became the company's successful Azure business server business. He also oversaw Microsoft's efforts to expand its software to phones and tables. The phone effort failed and cost the company billions of dollars, but its Surface line of computers have received positive reviews.

Since leaving, Ballmer bought and then sold a sizable stake in Twitter, funded a website called USAFacts that helps people better understand the US government spending, and bought the Los Angeles Clippers.

Former - Chicago - Bulls - Player - Scottie

Former Chicago Bulls player Scottie Pippen attended Ballmer's talk Monday at the WSJ conference.

Google and Facebook -- along with Twitter -- have been facing scrutiny by the federal government over their business practices. The Silicon Valley tech giants are still in the doghouse...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!