How is the sex abuse crisis affecting Catholic giving?

The Deacon's Bench | 11/9/2018 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/56/2012/05/1225944.jpg

It’s a serious question among many of us in the non-profit Catholic world. And it’s a source of concern for pastors and administrators, as well.

America magazine took a survey of its readers and reported last week:

Respondents - America - Contributions - Catholic - Church

Many respondents told America that they had reduced their financial contributions to the Catholic Church in the wake of the sexual abuse crisis. Fifty-seven percent of respondents said they had lowered the amount they gave to their bishop’s appeal, while 47 percent said they had reduced donations to their parishes.

Heather Glose of Buffalo, N.Y., explained her reasons for reducing her financial contributions this way: “As leaked diocesan documents indicate finances were a primary concern instead of victims, I am unable to contribute money while keeping my conscience clear,” said Ms. Glose. “If they care about money above all, maybe they will listen to our outrage more once they suffer financially.”

Donations - Catholic - Service - Agencies - Schools

Donations to Catholic service agencies and schools suffered less than collections by bishops and parishes because respondents said they had greater trust in these institutions. Only 22 percent of respondents said they reduced their donations to Catholic charities, and 10 percent said they had lowered the amount they donated to Catholic schools. An anonymous reader from Sacramento, Calif., said: “I support Catholic Relief Services, and I support my parish if I can specify what ministry it goes to. I do not support my parish priest, who openly says abuse is a thing of the past, when I know that it is not.”

Many respondents said they would give more to the church if they felt it was responding adequately to the crisis. In the words of a reader from Oregon: “Investigate all present and past situations and publish a report of the results. Healing begins...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Deacon's Bench
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: