Two whistleblowers are convicted for leaking 30,000 pages of documents which revealed favourable tax deals offered by Luxembourg to firms including Apple, Ikea and Pepsi

Mail Online | 6/29/2016 | Reuters;Jake Polden For Mailonline
pixielilia (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/06/29/19/35C8FC7B00000578-0-image-a-16_1467223886013.jpg

Two former accounting firm employees were found guilty of leaking thousands of secret documents to a journalist investigating tax deals granted by Luxembourg to big foreign firms.

Antoine Deltour, 31, and Raphael Halet, 40, both French citizens and former employees at PricewaterhouseCoopers, received suspended sentences of 12 and nine months respectively at a Luxembourg court.

Deltour - Fine - Euros - Halet - Fine

Deltour was also given a fine of 1,500 euros (£1,200) while Halet received a fine of 1,000 euros (£800). Both men said they would appeal the verdict.

The French television journalist, Edouard Perrin, who used the leaked data for a broadcast made in 2012, was acquitted of all charges.

LuxLeaks - Scandal - Light - Deals - Multinationals

The LuxLeaks scandal brought light to the generous deals handed to multinationals - including Apple, Ikea and Pepsi - and sparked a major global push against them.

Despite first appearing in 2012, the documents really exploded onto the world stage two years later when 30,000 pages were leaked into the public domain.

Case - Judge - Marc - Thill - Balance

During the case Judge Marc Thill was required to find a balance between upholding Luxembourg's strict secrecy laws and protecting whistleblowers.

In his ruling, the judge said he recognised...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
NY Times, a small niche paper for a small niche people in a really big internet

Comments

• Whistle-blowers are always persecuted & as for Luxembourg, well we all know where my glasses are?
  • Whistle-blowers are always persecuted & as for Luxembourg, well we all know where she is?
    To despair is to turn your back on God, you can never despair.