Learn the Bible’s Story to Understand Yours

The Gospel Coalition | 10/26/2018 | Staff
dewbydewby (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://s3.amazonaws.com/tgc-web/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/18164703/better-than-eden-tgc.jpg

Have you ever tried to picture heaven and worried you’ll be bored? Clouds, robes, harps—these cartoon images abound and fail to rouse longing. The idea of singing an infinite loop of praise choruses can fill us with dread. Some sure promises lift us up, like when God declares he will wipe away all our tears. But what about our tears now? Our lives are often heavy, and our open Bibles can seem mute in the face of our questions. What does ancient Israel have to do with my hurting child, my lost job? How could the promise of future golden streets palliate current global poverty or systemic injustice?

Nancy Guthrie—a Bible teacher, speaker, and host of Help Me Teach the Bible, a podcast of The Gospel Coalition—wants to speak life to God’s people in the midst of confusion. Her latest work, Even Better than Eden: Nine Ways the Bible’s Story Changes Everything About Your Story, puts forth a simple premise: We must read the Bible as one grand story. It has a beginning, a middle, and an end—and the distinctions between these parts matter, even to our everyday lives.

Knowledge - Christians - Scriptures - Start - Beginning

Why would this knowledge be transformative? As Christians we know that the Scriptures start at the beginning of creation and wrap up when Christ comes again. Yet this is right where Guthrie presses us. What do we imagine when we picture that coming day? What would be the consequences of letting that future soak our present?

Crossway (2018). 208 pp. $16.99.

Experienced - Bible - Teacher - Nancy - Guthrie

Experienced Bible teacher Nancy Guthrie traces nine themes throughout the Bible, revealing how God’s plan for the new creation will be far more glorious than the original. But this new creation glory isn’t just reserved for the future. The hope of God’s plan for his people transforms everything about our lives today.

Written for individuals...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Gospel Coalition
Wake Up To Breaking News!
The only change you ever get from the goverment is what's in your pocket, and worth less every day.
Tagged: