Cannes boss Thierry Frémaux talks Netflix competition ban: "We'll see about 2019"

Screen | 10/24/2018 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://d1nslcd7m2225b.cloudfront.net/Pictures/2000x2000fit/5/1/1/1291511_fremaux-screen-file.jpg

Cannes delegate general Thierry Frémaux has addressed the ongoing dispute between the French festival and Netflix during a Q&A at the Rome Film Fest.

He was speaking with Rome director Antonio Monda to an audience composed of industry members, film critics and journalists.

Cannes - Netflix - Movies - Competition - Bong

Cannes hosted two Netflix movies In Competition in 2017 (Bong Joon-ho’s Okja and Noah Baumbach’s The Meyerowitz Stories), causing an uproar from French distributors. A Competition ban for all movies that refused to commit to theatrical distribution in France followed in 2018.

Frémaux explained that he doesn’t agree or disagree with the board of the festival that forced him to issue the ban. “I am neither pro or against Netflix,” he said. “My job is to show the state of cinema in a time in which Martin Scorsese is about to release a movie produced by Netflix. In 2017 the board of the festival asked me not to accept any more movies that won’t screen in theatres. This isn’t strange if you think that exhibitors are in that board. And they are right to be preoccupied by this trend.”

Edition - Frémaux - Negotiations - Movie - Netflix

Speaking about the next edition, Frémaux hinted that negotiations are ongoing. “I would like to screen every movie I like. I couldn’t invite some of these in 2018 [because of the Netflix ban], we’ll see about 2019. You need to wait for the next episode.”

Frémaux previously told Screen that he almost lost his job after including Netflix films in 2017. Expanding on this, he said: “I decided to select those films In Competition together with [Cannes] [Pierre] president Lescure, knowing that they were hot stuff. Of course the board could have decided that I broke the rules but they didn’t because it’s a new world and the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Screen
Wake Up To Breaking News!