MY UNFORGETTABLE TIME WITH EUGENE PETERSON

Margaret Feinberg | 10/22/2018 | Margaret
Click For Photo: https://i1.wp.com/margaretfeinberg.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Eugene-Peterson-2009.jpg?fit=618,340&ssl=1

Several years ago, I spent a week studying Writing & The Pastoral Life with wise, raspy-voiced Eugene Peterson. This is the man who reminded us that the Bible was often penned by poets, the man who taught us that beautiful prose can undo the human heart. That story can crack the crustiest soul. That a fresh turn of phrase can turn a human Godward.

We miss you, Eugene.

Poet-prophet-preacher - Playing - Words - Word - Made

Of the poet-prophet-preacher who spent a lifetime playing with words being embraced by the Word Made Flesh.

The artist met his Creator behind the scenes.

Scenes - Heavenly - Footing - Eugene - Scribes

After imbibing the jaw-dropping celestial scenes and finding his heavenly footing, I imagine Eugene peppering the scribes and saints about various passages. I also imagine the expanse of communication among angels and saints in the higher realm reminded Eugene what he already knew—even his most brilliant penned words never fully captured the depth, the beauty, the wonder of God.

In celebration of this poet saint, I went back through my notes with Eugene and collected some of my favorite quotes.

I hope you enjoy!

“Once the benediction is done, go out there and live to the glory of God.”

Adrenaline - Competitiveness - Rejection - Neglect

“Doesn’t run on adrenaline or competitiveness or rejection or neglect.”

“We keep a Sabbath. We pray and play. We don’t do anything unnecessary.”

Feasts - Principles - Living

“The feasts teach us principles for living.”

“(One of my mentors) was once asked what’s the most important thing to do as a pastor? He answered, ‘Take long vacations and relieve yourself as often as possible.’ That made a lot of sense to me.”

Cards - Names - People - Sunday - Morning

“I used to take 3X5 cards and write the names of three people I would preach to on Sunday morning. In 30 years of preaching,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Margaret Feinberg
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: