Shocking turnout for first day of early voting in Houston

Houston Chronicle | 10/22/2018 | Jeremy Wallace, Houston Chronicle
Coraav (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://s.hdnux.com/photos/76/35/42/16373945/3/rawImage.jpg

People wait in line for early voting at the Metropolitan Multi-Services Center on West Gray Street Monday, Oct. 22, 2018, in Houston.

Thousands of people were already camped out at a key early voting location in Houston on Monday morning, hours before voting was even set to begin.

People - Line - Metropolitan - Multi-Service - Center

Nearly 2,000 people stood in line outside of the Metropolitan Multi-Service Center on West Gray near River Oaks in a scene that looked more like a Black Friday shopping morning.

"This is one of the most important elections of our lifetimes," said Cody Pogue, who arrived at 8:30 p.m. on Sunday to make sure he'd be one of the first people to cast a ballot for Democratic U.S. Senate candidate Beto O'Rourke.

Moments - O'Rourke - Street - Supporters - Bullhorn

Just moments later, O'Rourke was across the street firing up his supporters with a bullhorn.

"Are y'all ready?" O'Rourke said to a cascade of cheers. "Houston, I love you."

Karen - Bard - Line - Hour - Polls

Karen Bard, who was in line more than an hour before the polls opened, said she doesn't normally vote in midterms, but O'Rourke changed that.

"It's not about me, it's about my kids," Bard said.

O'Rourke - Rallies - Houston - Area - Monday

O'Rourke has a half-dozen rallies planned all over the Houston area on Monday to start early...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Houston Chronicle
Wake Up To Breaking News!