The Next Question

Parent Cue | 9/8/2011 | Carey Nieuwhof
gbabii05 (Posted by) Level 3
Your kids are back in school and you’re focused on helping them excel. You want them to learn. To grow. To master knowledge.

If you bring things back to their simplest form, knowledge often answers the question: “What?”

Test - Subject - Faith - Level - Everything

What do I need to know to do well on the test, to excel in this subject, or even to grow my faith? What dates/formulas/beliefs do I need to learn? At some level, everything from the alphabet to Bible stories gets processed through the lens of “what.”

It can be easy to leave it there. But there might be a danger in doing so.

Knowledge - Step - Question - Question - Times

Knowledge only really comes alive when you take it a step further and ask a next question. Sometimes this question gets asked. Sometimes it doesn’t. At times it’s even dismissed. But it shouldn’t be.

The question: “Why?

Accumulation - Information - Times - Tables - Story

When you only ask “What?” you tend to get an accumulation of information. And that’s helpful. After all, learning your times tables or being able to recall the basic story of King David’s life is helpful. But knowledge gets sticky, knowledge gets relevant and knowledge comes alive when you consistently ask, “Why?”

You can almost see people learn forward when they start to ask questions like: Why does this matter? Why is this relevant? Why is this event recorded? Why is this being taught?

Something - Motivator - Learning

Ultimately, knowing why you’re learning something becomes a great motivator for continued learning.

I remember being in ninth grade and learning some basic high school math. I...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Parent Cue
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Been there, done that, twice...
Tagged: