JERUSALEM (Reuters) – Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Sunday his decision to delay the demolition of a Bedouin village in the West Bank was a brief reprieve while efforts are under way to reach a relocation deal for its residents.
Israel’s decision to raze the village of Khan al-Ahmar in Israeli-occupied territory has drawn international concern, including from the United Nations and the European Union. The International Criminal Court prosecutor has said the eviction and demolition of Khan al-Ahmar could constitute a war crime.
Official - Netanyahu - Office - Condition - Anonymity
But an official in Netanyahu’s office, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said on Saturday the eviction had been postponed and an alternative relocation plan was being considered, in coordination with the Palestinian Authority.
In remarks to reporters on Sunday, Netanyahu said the eviction would eventually go ahead.
Intention - Reports - Time
“I have no intention of postponing this indefinitely, despite reports to the contrary, but for a short time,” he said.
“The amount of time we allocate for evacuating it under an agreement will be set by the security cabinet. I will convene it today. We will set (the timetable). It will be short and I believe it will be done with consent.”
Wake Up To Breaking News!