I Doubt It

Parent Cue | 6/6/2011 | Reggie Joiner
normanorma (Posted by) Level 4

Everyone processes their faith in different ways and at different speeds. All of my children have unique personalities, but I do remember one conversation during their elementary years when we were riding in the car.

Hannah, who happened to be the spokesman for the family even in the second grade, blurted out a question. “Dad I don’t get it. Some of my friends say there’s not a God, how do I know they are wrong and I am right?”

RP - Grade - Time - Sister - Soul

RP, who was in the 4th grade at the time, became extremely concerned about his sister’s soul and responded, “Hannah you can’t ask questions like that. You’ll go to ****.”

Sarah, the positive kindergartner, could sense the angst in the car, and took her best shot to resolve the tension. She clearly explained, “Don’t worry about it RP, Dad will explain it to her and she’ll be okay.”

Pressure - Parent - Job - Kids - God

Now I personally think that’s too much pressure for a parent. If any of you think that your job is to prove to your kids there is a God, you are probably going to live a pretty stressful life as a parent. Here are a few things I have decided when it comes to the faith of my kids:

1. Relax when your children ask skeptical questions.

Answer - Part - Process - Children - Faith

Don’t even try to always have an answer. It’s an important part of the process of growing and solidifying what you believe. If you want your children to own their own faith, then you have to let them face their own doubts. Doubt is a necessary detour to take at times if you want to arrive at a deep and personal faith.

2. There is always a degree of doubt in anyone’s faith.

I...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Parent Cue
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Homeschool or State Thought Police School, you choose.
Tagged: