Honduran government begs migrant caravan to turn back

The Washington Times | 10/16/2018 | Staff
MysticHeart (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://twt-thumbs.washtimes.com/media/image/2018/10/16/Central_America_Migrant_Caravan_32720.jpg-a5bb4_s2048x1269.jpg?04e98764a93483979b3698f97a293c882e4f5c43

The Honduran government called on 2,000 immigrants Tuesday to give up their trek north and return home, just hours after President Trump threatened to withhold $65 million in U.S. money if the country’s leaders don’t find a way to head off the caravan.

Honduras’s foreign ministry, in a statement reported by local news, said the caravan was being politically manipulated in order to make the country look bad, just days after leaders were in Washington promising better cooperation with the Trump administration.

Matter - Caravan - Security - Experts - US

But no matter what happens with this caravan, security experts say the U.S. is already being flooded with other caravans with hundreds of people on a near-daily basis, and that shows no signs of stopping.

They said it’s quickly becoming a repeat of the worst days of illegal immigration from two decades ago, when Border Patrol agents regularly nabbed border-jumping groups of hundreds of people.

Explosion - Brandon - Judd - President - National

“We’re seeing the explosion again,” said Brandon Judd, president of the National Border Patrol Council.

The Honduran caravan began in notoriously violent San Pedro Sula late last week with about 1,000 people, and has now reached 2,000 people as word of mouth spread, according to local news reports. The caravan busted through the border into Guatemala this week, defying that country’s border guards, who’d initially tried to stop the flow.

SEE - ALSO - Trump - Honduras - Migrant

SEE ALSO: Trump warns Honduras to stop migrant caravan headed for U.S.

Video showed the migrants marching along Guatemalan streets, headed for Chiquimula, where they were expected to remain Tuesday night.

Mr - Trump - Twitter - Tuesday - Honduras

Mr. Trump via Twitter on Tuesday that Honduras had to find a way to bring the people back, or else “no more money or aid will be given to Honduras, effective immediately!”

Vice President Mike Pence delivered that message personally in a phone call to Honduran President Juan Orlando Hernandez, and also warned Guatemalan President Jimmy Morales to do what he...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Washington Times
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Sign In or Register to comment.

Welcome to Long Room!

Where The World Finds Its News!