Review: Razer Blade (2018)

WIRED | 10/17/2018 | Brendan Nystedt
Pumpkinajn (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://media.wired.com/photos/5bc67212a8af293117556237/191:100/pass/razerblade.jpg

In the past, if you wanted a gaming laptop, you had to choose between power and portability—never the twain shall meet in one machine. Razer had other ideas when it launched its Blade laptops four years ago. The first Blades were 14-inchers, but packed Intel quad-core chips and whatever Nvidia had that it could shoehorn into a svelte, aluminum enclosure. The formula didn't change much over previous generations, and save for some bigger and smaller siblings, Razer's Blade got sharper.

Razer's been busy with its whetstone, then, since the latest Blade has been honed to a fine edge. The new Blade is a clean-sheet redesign, taking with it the lessons of past entries into the series and applying them to a bigger-sized system. No longer content to live in the awkward space between 13- and 15-inch screen sizes, Razer pumped up the Blade to a full 15.6-inch display. That means more space for a bigger trackpad, a revamped vapor chamber cooling system, and even the inclusion of upgradeable RAM and SSD storage.

Fan - Size - Think - Class - Way

If you were a fan of the prior size, then this might seem just a little too big for you. But if you, like me, think of the 15-inch class as way better for productivity, then you're in for a treat. It's far from perfect, as I found when I used it for a few weeks, but if you're a gamer or a pro looking for a MacBook alternative, then this is a laptop that you need to get your mitts on.

This revamped Blade cut into the previous design's achilles heel: the massive black border around its display. By trimming the crust off this delicious laptop sandwich, Razer has fit the newly enlarged display into a chassis that isn't terribly big. Plus, the nearly border-free screen leaves just enough margin...
(Excerpt) Read more at: WIRED
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: