Lena Dunham Prefers Playing ‘**** Crazy Women,’ and Loves It When You Hate Her

IndieWire | 10/16/2018 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/JenniJulietteLena.jpg

Lena Dunham knows that reviews for her new HBO series “Camping” haven’t been very positive — or, in her words, “I know that people haven’t necessarily been nice.” Not that that’s necessarily a bad thing. “I love when everybody, like Breitbart — like everybody hates it? That’s kind of fun.”

But as the creator told IndieWire, “I basically go into everything thinking that people won’t like it and then when they do, it’s a pleasant surprise. If I were to think about backlash all the time, I would just feel so much, so much pain. I’ve got enough pain on my own, generated by my body.”

Camping - Dunham - Girls - Partner - Jenni

“Camping,” which Dunham co-created with “Girls” partner Jenni Konner, focuses on Kathryn (Jennifer Garner), a wife and mother trying to put together the perfect birthday weekend for her husband Walt (David Tennant). Kathryn, like Dunham, openly suffers from chronic pain and has undergone a hysterectomy, and presents herself as a very unique character in the television landscape — one who proves actively unlikeable at times.

Of course, this is nothing new for Dunham. “When we created ‘Girls,’ when we brought Hannah into the world, people weren’t used to seeing a selfish, crabby, entitled 24-year-old,” she said. “Now, there’s like an older woman hitting middle age whose entire concern is about the insides of her body, exercising the only control that she has over her family. To me, that’s a real realistic depiction — so to see that people don’t connect to it is really interesting. Like maybe we pushed too far across the line. But I would rather push too far across the line, then not enough.”

Interview - Clarity - Flow

The interview has been slightly edited and condensed for clarity and flow.

With one-off acting roles ” like “American Horror Story” and “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood” — how do...
(Excerpt) Read more at: IndieWire
Wake Up To Breaking News!