Rupert Everett on Showing a Different Side to Oscar Wilde in ‘The Happy Prince’

Collider | 10/12/2018 | Christina Radish
Click For Photo: http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/the-happy-prince-rupert-everett-02.jpg

Written and directed by Rupert Everett, the biographical drama The Happy Prince finds Oscar Wilde (expertly played by Everett) on his death bed in a cheap Parisian hotel room, as he flashes back to other times and places in his previously very glamorous life. Wilde was a genius with incomparable wit, who kept his long-suffering wife (Emily Watson) at home while living freely among outlaws and urchins, in a society that once worshipped him before turning on him.

At the film’s Los Angeles press day, Collider got the opportunity to sit down and chat 1-on-1 with actor/filmmaker Rupert Everett. During the interview, we talked about the crazy journey he went on to get The Happy Prince made, how proud he is of the final product, the importance of showing a side of Oscar Wilde that we aren’t as familiar with, directing himself vs. the rest of his cast, and what he’d like to do next.

Collider - Work - Insane - Task - Writer

Collider: Truly tremendous work in and on this. It seems like such an insane task to take this on, as the writer, director and lead actor. Did you know how crazy it was all going to be when you got yourself into it?

RUPERT EVERETT: When I decided to direct the film myself, I didn’t really know what was gonna happen. Getting to make the movie was the worst part, really. It was terribly frustrating, taking two steps forward and one step back. And then, I would cancel a piece of work, thinking it was gonna happen, and then it didn’t happen and I’d have no work. That was very depressing. By the time the film actually happened and got to be made, I had to do a tour. I had done this play, The Judas Kiss, by David Hare, which was about Oscar Wilde. I couldn’t get...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Collider
Wake Up To Breaking News!