CNN, Financial Times Withdraw From Saudi Conference Amid Khashoggi Controversy

Variety | 10/12/2018 | Brian Steinberg
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2018/01/cnn-atlanta.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

CNN and the Financial Times said they would no longer take part in a much-anticipated Saudi investment conference, the latest media organization to withdraw from the event following the disappearance of dissident columnist Jamal Khashoggi.

The AT&T-owned cable-news outlet and the financial newspaper, owned by Japan’s Nikkei, had been named as media partners of the Future Investment Initiative, along with CNBC, Bloomberg, Fox Business Network, the Financial Times, Nikkei and Al Aribiya News Channel. The event is scheduled to take place in Riyadh between October 23 and October 25. “CNN has withdrawn its participation in the Saudi Future Investment Initiative Conference,” the network said in a statement. “The Financial Times will not be partnering with the FII conference in Riyadh while the disappearance of journalist Jamal Khashoggi remains unexplained,” said Lionel Barber, the FT’s editor, in a statement. Viacom CEO Bob Bakish said Thursday he would no longer take part in the conference.

Khashoggi - Saudi - Consulate - Istanbul - Oct

Khashoggi has not been seen since entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2. Turkish authorities have told reporters that Khashoggi was murdered in the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Sign In or Register to comment.

Welcome to Long Room!

Where The World Finds Its News!