Dumbed Down? Why Reading the Bible Is so Illusive—Yet so Vitally Important

urbanagirl3 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www-images.christianitytoday.com/images/83589.jpg?w=500

This past Saturday was the second program of my new radio show called “Ed Stetzer Live” on Moody Radio. The program will air live every Saturday at 11 a.m. CST across Moody affiliates. This past Saturday, I talked with Beth Moore about Bible study and the practices of Americans and their Bible reading. You can listen to it here. You can also find us on twitter at @edstetzerlive. Below I share some my own thoughts on this issue.

Every Tuesday we will be posting an article that ties in with my Moody Radio show I hosted the Saturday before. Join me this coming Saturday as I talk with Rick Blackwood, Lead Pastor at Christ Fellowship Miami, about the power of multi-sensory preaching and teaching.

Get - Updates - Exchange - Inbox

Get weekly updates from The Exchange delivered to your inbox.

According to a study done by LifeWay Research, nine out of every ten households own a Bible. That’s a pretty considerable subsection of the American public. After reading this, I went home to see how many my family owns and found a total of eight sitting on one shelf alone; this doesn’t count the number of Bibles I have in my office at the Billy Graham Center.

Lot - Bibles

I thought to myself, “That’s a lot of Bibles!”

Despite the fact that most Americans could likely walk around their homes and count more than a few Bibles dispersed throughout, only one in five Americans have actually read the Bible in its entirety and more than half of Americans (53%) have read merely a smattering of passages to none at all.

Question - People - Scripture

This begs the question: Why are people choosing not to engage with Scripture?

Bibles don’t just fill our homes; they fill our discourse. Many living among us have testified to the many ways that the Bible has changed their lives. Some public schools teach from...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Exchange | A Blog by Ed Stetzer
Wake Up To Breaking News!
You can never use the word unexpected when it comes to abuse of power by the government.
Tagged: