Jay Hernandez on CBS’ ‘Magnum P.I.’ Reboot and Taking on Such an Iconic Role

Collider | 9/24/2018 | Christina Radish
Click For Photo: http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/sdcc-magnum-pi-jay-hernandez-perdita-weeks.jpg

The CBS drama series Magnum P.I. is a modern take on the classic TV character of Thomas Magnum (Jay Hernandez), a decorated former Navy SEAL who uses his military skills to become a private investigator alongside former Marine chopper pilot Theodore “TC” Calvin (Stephen Hill), former Marine Orville “Rick” Wright (Zachary Knighton) and disavowed MI:6 agent Juliet Higgins (Perdita Weeks), whose main focus seems to be keeping Magnum in line with the help of her two Dobermans. There is no crime that Magnum can’t solve and no person that he can’t convincingly charm, especially if he’s driving that vintage red Ferrari.

During this 1-on-1 interview with Collider, actor Jay Hernandez talked about having watched Magnum P.I. as a kid, his reservations about stepping into this role, why he thought they had a really good shot at getting something great, the mustache, when he knows that a character is really within him, the responsibility of being #1 on the call sheet, working in the paradise of Hawaii, whether he’s ever been tempted to just drive off in that car, pulling off the big action sequences, and the dynamic between the team.

Collider - Could - Career - Thomas - Magnum

Collider: Could you ever have imagined, when you started this whole acting career, that you would be here now, playing Thomas Magnum?

JAY HERNANDEZ: Absolutely not! 100% no. I watched the show, as a kid, but I had no idea that I would ever even get the chance to play Magnum. I didn’t even know they would do a reboot, let alone that I would get the opportunity to do it. So, no, absolutely not.

End - Way - Something - Time - Beginning

How did this end up coming your way, and did they tell you they were looking for something different this time, right from the beginning?

HERNANDEZ: Yeah, part of it was that they wanted to do something different. My take...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Collider
Wake Up To Breaking News!