‘Suspiria’ Review: Luca Guadagnino’s Audacious Remake Is a Spellbinding Horror Masterpiece | Fantastic Fest

Collider | 9/24/2018 | Haleigh Foutch
Click For Photo: http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/suspiria-cast-image.jpg

I didn’t walk out of my Suspiria screening when the credits rolled; I fled. Not out of terror or disgust, or any of the reasons you might be expecting, but because I needed a place to be by myself and let it all out. Standing in a bathroom stall, I wept, not as quietly as I would have liked, in full body-shaking sobs. And I can’t really tell you why. But I’m going to try.

Directed by Call Me By Your Name filmmaker Luca Guadagnino, 2018’s Suspiria is a straight up masterpiece. Sure to be one of the most divisive films of the year for its uncompromising and intentionally ambiguous vision, Suspiria joins the ranks of the horror remake greats alongside The Thing and The Fly. Scripted by David Kajganich (who previously worked with Guadagnino on a bigger splash and made horror waves earlier this year with AMC’s stunning The Terror series), Suspiria taps into a deep well of history and human cruelty to conjure a tale of fascism and toppled regimes that somehow feels both firmly rooted in reality and as if the film itself is an act of ritual magic.

Dario - Argento - Film - Name - Share

Inspired by Dario Argento’s iconic 1977 film of the same name (though the two share little in common beyond key characters and setting), Suspiria unfolds as “six acts and an epilogue,” beginning with the story of Patricia (Chloe Grace Moretz), who arrives at the office of her psychoanalyst Dr. Josef Klemperer (Tilda Swinton, though buried under layers of incredible old age makeup and a thick German accent) singing and dancing, and raving about a school of witches that wants to get inside her. The Jungian analyst chalks up her fear to paranoid delusions, but when his young patient goes missing shortly after, he finds himself tangled up in the affairs...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Collider
Wake Up To Breaking News!