Murphy Brown EP on the Revival's Pro-Press 'Mission,' Bracing for a Trump Tweet: 'We Kind of Hope It Happens'

TVLine | 9/21/2018 | Dave Nemetz
Click For Photo: https://pmctvline2.files.wordpress.com/2018/09/murphy-brown-revival-gallery-featured.jpg?w=1024

Murphy Brown is back… and boy, news and politics have changed just a bit in the last twenty years, haven’t they?

That’s a lot to catch up on, so we reached out to series creator Diane English, who returns as the revival’s showrunner, to see what we can expect from the new-look Murphy. Below, English tells TVLine about how she “really hesitated” before agreeing to the revival, why she thinks multi-cam sitcoms are “just funnier” than single-cams, how the new episodes attempt to bring the beleaguered press corps “back to their glory days” and why they hope to avoid overloading on Trump talk — but wouldn’t mind inspiring a late-night tweet storm from the Oval Office.

TVLINE - | - Time - Show - Warner

TVLINE | What made this the right time to bring the show back? I know Warner Bros. approached you first, but did you have to actually write it to see if it still worked?

Yeah, that was their idea. And I thought it was a good one, because I really hesitated. They had been asking for a little while, and people had been watching these revivals and reboots come back and do well, and I think Candice and I both felt like there was a danger in bringing the show back if we couldn’t make it as good as the earlier episodes were. But as the headlines became worse and worse… [Laughs] We started to feel like, there’s such a thing as the right time and place, so Warner Bros. suggested that I write the script, and I did, and then I felt after that like we were good to go. Let’s just jump in and do 13 of these.

TVLINE - | - Twenty - Years - Murphy

TVLINE | In the twenty years Murphy Brown was away, the style of TV comedy has evolved a lot. Has the show changed at all in rhythm or...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TVLine
Wake Up To Breaking News!