Somebody Better Than Me (Mike Glenn)

Jesus Creed | 9/21/2018 | Staff
baileyboo (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://wp.production.patheos.com/blogs/jesuscreed/files/2017/11/Screen-Shot-2017-11-22-at-6.10.56-PM-300x214.png

I had a long dinner conversation with my friend, Mike Glenn, Wednesday evening, when I was in Nashville to speak at New Room. This post is the kind of wisdom I have come to learn from Mike every time we are together.

Most parents have experienced the humbling moment of realizing they can’t beat their children in some games unless they cheat, whether it’s Monopoly at the kitchen table or basketball in the driveway. (We won’t even talk about video games). One of life’s most discouraging/joyful moments is watching your child raise their hands in triumph and knowing you can’t do anything about it…but cheat.

Couple - Moments - Sons - Days - Son

I had a couple of those moments with both of my sons over these last several days. Recently, my son, the CPA, was promoted to be the CFO of a hospital in Jacksonville, Florida. He works for a large hospital corporation based here in Nashville, and being willing to move is one of the requirements of the job.

While we were celebrating his promotion, I began to ask him about what he does. He answered me, I think, but I didn’t understand one thing he told me. Once he got past budgets and profits, I was totally lost.

Moment - Son

It’s a humbling moment when you realize your son is smarter than you.

If that wasn’t enough, our other son is an attorney. The other day over breakfast, he explained to me the legal reasoning behind a recent Supreme Court decision. Once again, I smiled and nodded a lot, but I’m not sure I caught everything he said. OK, I admit it, I didn’t.

Sons - Golf - Sons

Both of my sons are smarter than me. They play golf better than I do. They dress better than I do. It’s sad, but I’m totally outclassed by my sons.

It’s no better at church. I have the privilege...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Jesus Creed
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: