Mayfield carries Browns to first win since 2016

ESPN.com | 9/20/2018 | Staff
ajoy26 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://a3.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2018%2F0920%2Fr434508_1296x729_16%2D9.jpg

CLEVELAND -- Thursday night football turned into a Baker's Special for the Cleveland Browns.

Rookie Baker Mayfield entered for his NFL regular-season debut late in the second quarter and brought the Browns back from a 14-0 deficit to prevail 21-17, snapping a 19-game winless streak dating back to Dec. 24, 2016 -- a span of 635 days.

Browns - Fans - Death - Streak - Birth

Browns fans were buzzing about the death of the streak and the birth of a new star in Cleveland. Here's a look at some reaction around social media.

Following the Browns' first victory since late in the 2016 season, we look at other notable teams to end slides.

Rookie - QB - Picks - Jets - Lead

The rookie QB threw two late picks and the Jets blew a two-touchdown lead, becoming the first team to lose to the Browns in 635 days.

When Joe Schobert intercepted a Sam Darnold pass with 1:21 left to more or less seal the win, Browns fans stood and cheered like they had won the Super Bowl. When Terrance Mitchell intercepted Darnold with 11 seconds left to completely seal it, Mitchell ran 65 yards to jump into the Dawg Pound at the East end of FirstEnergy Stadium.

Moment - Mayfield

"I've just been waiting for my moment," Mayfield said. "I'm just getting started."

The top pick in this year's draft, Mayfield entered the game late in the first half after Tyrod Taylor left the game with a concussion. He went 17-for-23 for 201 yards passing and remarkably caught the two-point conversion that tied the game at 14 with 42 seconds left in the third quarter.

Relief - End - Nightmare - Players - Browns

It was sweet relief and the end to a long and drawn-out nightmare. Only 10 players on the Browns roster were on the team's roster the last time they won a game.

Mayfield provided the spark. He followed that game-tying, two-point conversion by guiding a game-winning, 15-play, 75-yard touchdown drive that ended with...
(Excerpt) Read more at: ESPN.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: