‘Waiting Forward’ in a Backward World

The Gospel Coalition | 9/17/2018 | Staff
Mandyixus (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://s3.amazonaws.com/tgc-web/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/12114129/spring-waiting-forward-tgc.jpg

For nine months I prayed. Daily. Fervently. I prayed my third baby wouldn’t suffer from the gastrointestinal ailments that plagued the other two. That this time we could have a quieter, sweeter newborn season.

But alas, I again found myself avoiding dairy, soy, eggs, nuts, and gluten, administering high-powered acid reflux medicine to a tiny baby so he could eat without pain. I rocked him for hours on end so he could sleep instead of scream.

Kind - Providence - Lord - Christine - Hoover

While I rocked, I read. In his kind providence, the Lord ordained for me to review Christine Hoover’s book Searching for Spring: How God Makes All Things Beautiful in Time. Through her words, he showed me why the newborn season he gave me was much better and more beautiful than the one I asked for.

We don’t have to live long on this earth to realize that things aren’t right here. Sin, suffering, and injustice are within us and all around us. Hoover—a pastor’s wife, mom, and speaker—calls these “inconsolable things,” things in this life that won’t be made right until Jesus returns. These things can weigh us down, steal our joy, and tempt us to doubt God. We often try to fix them ourselves, to console the inconsolable, and we wind up disillusioned.

Hoover - Way - Beauty - Game - Hide

Hoover offers another way. She invites us to search for beauty, a game of hide and seek. She shows us that there is beauty everywhere, especially in the unexpected and unlikely places. We just have to look for it.

The foundational truth driving the book is that God makes all things beautiful in his time (Eccl. 3:11). But if we think we understand this truth simply because we appreciate the beauty of a scenic view or the beauty of a material blessing, Hoover challenges us to reconsider.

Baker - Books - Pp

Baker Books (2018). 224 pp. $15.99.

The Bible says that...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Gospel Coalition
Wake Up To Breaking News!