The Reckless Coverage of Kavanaugh Allegations Is Why Americans Don’t Trust the Media

The Daily Signal | 9/20/2018 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://www.dailysignal.com/wp-content/uploads/180920_KavMediaedit.jpg

Jarrett Stepman is an editor and commentary writer for The Daily Signal and co-host of "The Right Side of History" podcast. Send an email to Jarrett.

Ginny Montalbano is a contributor to The Daily Signal. Send an email to Ginny.

Weeks - Coverage - Accusations - Supreme - Court

The last few weeks of coverage of the accusations against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh have been a perfect example of why the American people don’t trust the media.

The sheer breadth of wild and reckless reporting on the situation has been extraordinary, even by the media’s increasingly low standards.

Number - Backtracks - Incidences - Reporting

There have been a staggering number of backtracks and incidences of simply false reporting.

NBC published a social media post by one of Kavanaugh’s classmates, Christina King Miranda, saying: “This incident did happen. Many of us heard a buzz about it indirectly with few specific details. However Christine’s vivid recollection should be more than enough for us to truly, deeply know that the accusation is true.”

NBC - Post - Classmate - Post - Place

NBC’s post went viral, but very quickly thereafter, the classmate deleted her post and admitted to not knowing what took place between Kavanaugh and the accuser.

“In my [Facebook] post, I was empowered and I was sure it probably did [happen],” Miranda said according to NPR. “I had no idea that I would now have to go to the specifics and defend it before 50 cable channels and have my face spread all over MSNBC news and Twitter.”

NBC - Story

NBC later had to revise the story.

The New York Times made its own mess. On Monday, the Times reported that Mark Judge, the second man named in Christine Blasey Ford’s allegations against Kavanaugh, had confirmed to the Senate Judiciary Committee that he did recall the episode. But the potentially damning statement was completely incorrect.

Judge - Lawyer - Recollection - Actions - Place

Judge has repeatedly claimed, via his lawyer, that he has no recollection of such actions ever taking place.

“Brett Kavanaugh and I...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Daily Signal
Wake Up To Breaking News!