Percoco sentenced to six years for corruption

Times Union | 9/20/2018 | Staff
my_new_puppy (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://s.hdnux.com/photos/72/06/34/15230780/3/rawImage.jpg

NEW YORK — A federal judge sentenced Joseph Percoco, the former right-hand man to Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo, to six years in prison Thursday for accepting more than $320,000 in bribes from businessmen looking to buy state influence.

"The motive for this crime was greed and arrogance," Judge Valerie Caproni told Percoco at the sentencing in the Thurgood Marshall U.S. Courthouse in lower Manhattan.

Morning - News - Day - Times - Union

Get your morning news every day from Times Union!

Get Unlimited Digital Access this month!

Faith - Government - Crimes - Public - Cynicism

She noted that "faith in government is at an all-time low," and said crimes like his contributed to the public's "cynicism," according to live Tweets from within the courtroom by Adam Klasfeld of Courthouse News.

"If you can't live with a public servant's salary, get out of government," said Caproni, who recommended Percoco be sent to the federal facility in Otisville, Orange County.

Percoco - Attorney - Barry - Bohrer - Court

Percoco, joined by his attorney Barry Bohrer, told the court he was sorry for his actions. "I live with the consequences every single day of my life," he said.

The sentencing — which also included three years of supervised release — marked the final downfall for Percoco, whose close ties with the Cuomo family date to his work for the late Gov. Mario M. Cuomo. The current governor once referred to Percoco as "my father's third son and my brother."

Percoco - Remorse - Regret

Percoco 'filled with remorse and regret'

In March, a jury found Percoco guilty of corruption for taking bribes from businessmen in two separate schemes, both of which involved payments to Percoco's wife, Lisa Toscano-Percoco.

Peter - Galbraith - Kelly - Executive - Competitive

Peter Galbraith Kelly, a Connecticut-based executive at Competitive Power Ventures, an energy company, hired Lisa Percoco for a "low-show" $90,000-a-year job at CPV teaching schoolchildren about energy.

On Thursday, Caproni deferred on the question of whether Percoco's wife should be able to hold on to roughly a third of the money she received from CPV,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Times Union
Wake Up To Breaking News!