Five General (and Useful!) Truths Learned in Grad School: Here for Free!

Eidos | 9/20/2018 | Staff
TaylorShaye (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://wp.production.patheos.com/blogs/sites/169/2018/09/0D6AE653-0BC2-45BF-99D8-482BFFEFBCFF.jpeg

Click For Photo: http://wp.production.patheos.com/blogs/sites/169/2018/09/0D6AE653-0BC2-45BF-99D8-482BFFEFBCFF-768x404.jpeg

Grad School: Fear Not!

I had a lot to learn when I went to graduate school in philosophy at a secular university. Mostly, of course, I learned as much philosophy as I could from outstanding scholars and teachers. You hear a lot about bad teaching in graduate school, but (with rare exceptions) in my experience professors who teach, teach well. What was best about graduate school?

People - Students - Ideas

I met people dedicated to thinking well, interested in students, and excited about new ideas.

I meet some Christians who are afraid to go to graduate school or who worry about “surviving.” My experience was challenging, but good for me. There are not many political conservatives in most graduate programs or religious believers, so as a political conservative and very religious person my ideas were often tested on multiple fronts and levels at the same time.

Fun - Arguments - Philosophy - Testing - Nothing

That is not always fun, but since arguments are what philosophy does, the testing probably was good for me and was nothing like constant. Mostly, discussion in an epistemology class or in a seminar on Aristotle were about epistemology or Aristotle and while in philosophy everything can have implications on anything mostly mastering (or trying to master!) the area was the focus. Everybody experiences the graduate school differently and I went decades ago, but in hanging around higher education I think there is still great value in the experience and not just in learning a subject area.

In addition to the philosophy, there were more general life lessons. I am confident that my parents, teachers, and earlier professors tried to teach me some (if not all of these), but I had finally gotten grownup enough to hear them. I have used these truths in business and in areas unrelated to philosophy.

Someone - Idea

Understanding why someone loves an idea (even one I end up rejecting) is...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Eidos
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: