Hackers are using NSA spy tools to break into people's computers and use them to mine Bitcoin

Mail Online | 9/20/2018 | Harry Pettit For Mailonline
leeann77 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1/2018/09/20/10/4416228-0-image-a-3_1537434882850.jpg

Cyber criminals are using advanced hacking tools developed by the US National Security Agency (NSA) to mine Bitcoin on the computers of unsuspecting members of the public.

Incidences of crypto jacking – a technique used by hackers to steal the processing power of computers to create cryptocurrency worth thousands – have quadrupled in the last year, according to new research.

Cyber - Security - Experts - Surge - Part

Cyber security experts say the surge is due in part to an arsenal of US government hacking tools leaked online last year by a group of hackers known as the Shadow Brokers.

The 'EternalBlue' software was developed by the NSA to spy on gadgets such as smartphones and laptops as part of the agency's counter-terrorism efforts.

Experts - Hackers - Tools - WannaCry - Ransomware

Experts believe hackers used the tools to carry out the devastating 2017 WannaCry ransomware attacks, which infected 200,000 systems in more than 150 countries.

New research published by the Cyber Threat Alliance, an association of cybersecurity firms and experts, suggests EternalBlue is fuelling a rise in illicit crypto mining, also known as 'crypto jacking'.

Report - Group - Cent - Rise - Year

A report from the group detected a 459 per cent rise in the past year of crypto jacking, in which hackers use malware to tap into the processing power of unsuspecting computer users to illicitly generate currency.

'Activity has gone from a virtually non-exist issue to one that almost universally shows up at the top of our members' threat lists,' said a blog post by Neil Jenkins, chief analytic officer for the alliance.

Patch - EternalBlue - Months

'A patch for EternalBlue has been available for 18 months.

'Even after being exploited in two significant global cyberattacks – WannaCry and NotPetya – there are still countless organisations that are being victimised by this exploit, as it's being used by...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!