Why Burning Out Doesn’t Have to Be Final or Fatal: Top 10 Insights

ChurchLeaders | 9/18/2018 | Staff
nallynally (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://churchleaders-eszuskq0bptlfh8awbb.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/9.19.HOME_.CC.Burnout.jpg

Burnout is almost an epidemic among leaders today, and burning out is increasingly common among people who don’t even consider themselves leaders.

It’s no longer just reserved for over-40 leaders either.

Leaders - Kind - Phenomenon

Even young leaders are burning out. No longer is burnout an “I’ve been at this too long” kind of phenomenon.

So what happens if you burnout?

Can you come back?

Will you lead again?

Can you thrive again?

Is there hope?

Years

Twelve years ago, I burned out.

It was the first time my fatigue pushed me over a cliff and left me unable to get back. It was more than physical exhaustion…it was emotional exhaustion. I had led for 12 years, but clearly, I had not processed my leadership properly. My first decade in leadership pushed me past the brink of burnout.

Story - Detail - Book - Coming - Spouse

If you want more about my story, I write about it in detail in my best-selling book, Didn’t See It Coming. Maybe your spouse or best friend saw your burnout coming, but usually the person who burns out doesn’t.

Subscribe to ChurchLeaders!

Depth - Despair

Personally, I’ll never forget the depth of the despair.

And yet, a full twelve years later, I have never felt better, never felt more alive and never been more productive in my life.

Ways - Burnout - Way - Insights - Leader

Here are 10 ways my burnout changed the way I lead, and 10 insights that can help any leader lead better (whether or not you’ve burnt out).

As a young leader, it’s so easy to think limits don’t apply to you. In some ways they don’t.

Until they do.

People kept telling me I would burn out.

Invincible—and

I thought I was invincible—and I was so wrong.

I have a much greater respect for God-given limits: limits for how much I can do, what I should...
(Excerpt) Read more at: ChurchLeaders
Wake Up To Breaking News!
He is faithful!
Tagged: