ABOUT SHELOVES

SheLoves Magazine | 9/19/2018 | Nichole Forbes
JimmyJoe (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://shelovesmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/nichole-forbes-when-social-justice-disrupts-our-nice-christian-lives-2.jpg

Recently, in a conversation with someone about social justice and the church, I was told this: “Justice is incidental to the gospel.” I was dumbfounded. I’m a pretty smart woman and if that word, incidental, means what I think it means then I just discovered a very wide chasm between my understanding of the gospel of Jesus and my friend’s. So, I actually found a dictionary and looked up the meaning of the word.

“Incidental” is an adjective that means accompanying something, but not a major part of the whole. Yep. That’s what I thought it meant. So, excuse me a moment while I step back to collect myself at the edge of this widening chasm.

Weeks - Debate - Justice - Church - Conversation

Over the last few weeks, this debate about social justice and the Church has been heating up. Much of the conversation has been fueled by current events in the U.S. in particular. Between Nike’s Just Do It campaign featuring Colin Kaepernick, the upheaval over Serena Williams’ reaction to the reffing at her championship match for the US Open and the murder of Botham Shem Jean in his home by a Dallas police officer, my Twitter feed has become a stream of opposing views. There’s disagreement on the the right to protest, the right way to protest and how the Church should respond.

Then there has also been a lot of chatter surrounding a statement released by a group of pastors who basically condemn the pursuit of social justice in the Church. And that’s where my previously mentioned conversation began. And ended.

Jesus - Words - Sure - Metaphor - Context

Jesus actually said these words. And I’m pretty sure he meant them. Not as a metaphor and not only in a spiritual context, but actually, literally, as in that is exactly what he came to do. He also said, “I am telling you the truth: those who...
(Excerpt) Read more at: SheLoves Magazine
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: