Charleston/Carolina in the Morning
Steyn's Song of the Week #334

SteynOnline | 9/16/2018 | Staff
Mireille (Posted by) Level 3

This time last year, when Hurricane Irma swept up the spine of Florida, we tracked its progress in song, from "Key Largo" north to "The Swanee River". I'm not as familiar with the geography of the Carolinas, but, with Tropical Storm Florence afflicting our many readers in the neighborhood, I thought I'd take a trip to "Carolina In My Mind", as James Taylor put it. Which is not to be confused with "South Carolina On My Mind", which is the deputy state song of said jurisdiction. Carolina is one - or actually two - of the more hymned American states, in part because, like "Georgia On My Mind", the real estate can also double as a girl's name, even if in this case the states in question were named after a boy (King Charles I, or Carolus in Latin). Hence this song from 1914:

Caroline?

Lad - Gal - State - Gal - State

Is the poor lad missing his gal? Or his state? Or his gal in his state? Don't overthink it. Carolina calls to many, including in 2004 Jimmy Buffett. I liked the opening couplet of his chorus:

- which always sounds to me as if his heart's on the ocean floor in Davy Jones' locker. But, that aside, "The Coast of Carolina" doesn't have much else to say about the Carolina coast. If you want local color, try Josh Turner:

Crescent - Moon

Reaching up to touch the crescent moon...

I haven't done the math, but my sense is there are more South Carolina songs than North Carolina songs. So I was thrilled when a half-remembered semi-hit with North Carolina in the title popped into my head: "Just a Little Bit South of North Carolina". Except, alas, that the logic of the title is that, while it's named for North Carolina, it's actually about South Carolina - as the second line of the lyric...
(Excerpt) Read more at: SteynOnline
Wake Up To Breaking News!
There's no problem on the inside of a kid that the outside of a dog can't cure.