Small-Screen Stream: The Fantastic Final Season of ‘The Americans,’ Jim Halpert: Action Star, and More

/Film | 9/11/2018 | Lindsey Romain
Click For Photo: https://d13ezvd6yrslxm.cloudfront.net/wp/wp-content/images/the-americans-season-6.jpg

Anyone else feeling that late summer sadness? It’s not yet Halloween season, but the kids are back in school, the weather is evening out, and we’re about to lapse into the long slog of low temperatures and seasonal depression.

If that’s a downer for you, worry not, because I’m here to offer a selection of streaming TV that will hopefully raise your spirits. I’ve gone through every major streaming service to deliver an offering of the best streaming TV has to offer this time of year. If you’re unfamiliar with this column, it’s comprised of old things, new things, and under-the-radar things. I hope I can give you something to look forward to as we swing gently into the last chunk of 2018.

Excuses - Americans - Favorite - Shows - Things

I will never stop looking for excuses to promote The Americans, one of my all-time favorite shows and one of the best things to grace TV screens in decades. I don’t care if that’s hyperbole; I think The Americans deserves it. The acting is ace, the pacing perfection, and the sleek, sexy story the exact sort of entertainment I’m always looking for. The final season – which is nominated for a ton of top-prize Emmys, and is genuinely perfect – just hit Amazon Prime, so you’re out of excuses for not tuning into this Cold War spy drama, about two married KGB agents deeply undercover in 1980s Washington D.C. It’s worth it for the incredible soundtrack alone, like in the above clip, when Keri Russell’s Elizabeth Jennings zones out as Peter Gabriel’s “We Do What We’re Told (Milgram’s 37)” electrifies in the background.

If you’re like me, you might have a hard time buying Jim Halpert as an action star. (I’m personally still recovering from Andy Dwyer the action star.) I didn’t have much interest in checking out this series,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: /Film
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Don't believe everything you think...