‘Widows’: Steve McQueen Was Warned Not to Work With Michelle Rodriguez Because ‘She’s Difficult,’ but He Refused to Listen

IndieWire | 9/11/2018 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/shutterstock_9877822ad.jpg

“Widows” teams Steve McQueen with the likes of Viola Davis, Liam Neeson, and Michelle Rodriguez, but the latter might not have been cast had McQueen listened to some controversial advice. The director revealed to Uproxx that he was originally told not to work with Rodriguez because she has a reputation for being difficult on set.

“Don’t work with her. No, no don’t work with her,” McQueen remembered being told. “But people say that about me. If you’re a white director, they call you a perfectionist. Me, they call difficult. So I didn’t pay any mind to what people say about Michelle, because I had to find out for myself.”

McQueen - Rodriguez - Part - Director - Actress

McQueen offered Rodriguez the part but she declined. The director said the actress felt the part was “subservient to men” and told him she didn’t want to be in a situation where “she was beholden to a man.” McQueen ended up auditioning several other actresses for the role, none of whom worked as well as he thought Rodriguez would as one of his eponymous widows. The movie centers around...
(Excerpt) Read more at: IndieWire
Wake Up To Breaking News!