Mayans M.C. Might Be Familiar, but It's Not the Second Coming of Jax Teller

TVGuide.com | 9/3/2018 | Kaitlin Thomas
Click For Photo: https://cimg.tvgcdn.net/i/r/2018/09/03/7bf3469a-9c47-4455-9af1-6b721126fa99/thumbnail/1300x867/0b532752aa4fd902698ef4a3b2397009/180903-mayans2.jpg

Sons of Anarchy rode off into the sunset — or, to be more accurate, right into a semi driven by Michael Chiklis — in December 2014. The blood-soaked, adrenaline-fueled biker series, created by Kurt Sutter, remains FX's most-watched series in network history nearly four years later. Continuing the over-the-top drama via a second chapter feels like a no-brainer, and on Tuesday, the show's long-awaited spin-off, Mayans M.C., centered around a Latino club, will make its debut.

The series follows EZ Reyes (JD Pardo) a bright young man who grew up on the U.S./Mexico border and who nearly achieved the American Dream only to find the world had other plans. At the start of the series he's prospecting the Santo Padre charter of the Mayans, of which his brother Angel (Clayton Cardenas) is a patched member, after being released from prison. Sutter was intent on the series being an authentic depiction of this particular world, and because he was not familiar with it the way he was the world of the blue-collar white men at the heart of Sons of Anarchy, he brought in former gang member Elgin James to help tell EZ's story.

Things - Sons - Anarchy - Mayans - MC

The 3 Most Important Things to Remember About Sons of Anarchy Before You Watch Mayans M.C.

"When Kurt first contacted me about this and brought me on to help him create it, I was just a few years out of prison myself," James told TV Guide in August at the Television Critics Association summer press tour. "I was dealing with the stuff that EZ Reyes is dealing [with]. A lot was going on while we were writing it. ... [I was] coming to L.A. and trying to change my life after being in a gang for the majority of my life."

JD - Pardo - Mayans - MC

JD Pardo, Mayans M.C.

The series, which is more of a...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TVGuide.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!