O’Rourke Media Profiles Didn’t Report on Serious Details of 1998 DWI Arrest

Washington Free Beacon | 8/31/2018 | David Rutz
Click For Photo: https://freebeacon.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Screen-Shot-2018-07-31-at-9.54.57-AM.png

BY: David Rutz

In more than a dozen media profiles of Rep. Beto O'Rourke (D., Texas) and his Texas Senate candidacy written over the past two years and reviewed by the Washington Free Beacon, no publications delved into the serious details about his 1998 arrest for driving while intoxicated.

Details - Crash - Scene - Witness

Those details now include he caused a crash and he attempted to flee the scene, according to a witness who spoke to police.

O'Rourke, a third-term congressman challenging Sen. Ted Cruz (R., Texas) in one of the country's most closely watched races, has long acknowledged a pair of arrests from the 1990s: one in 1995 for breaking and entering over what he called a fence-jumping prank, and one in 1998 for driving while intoxicated. Both charges were eventually dismissed.

Houston - Chronicle - Thursday - Police - Records

However, the Houston Chronicle reported Thursday on police records it obtained stating O'Rourke, then 26 years old, was "driving drunk at what a witness called ‘a high rate of speed' in a 75 mph zone on Interstate 10 about a mile from the New Mexico border.'" He lost control of his Volvo, hit a truck and sent his car "careening across the center median into oncoming lanes." A witness said O'Rourke then attempted to flee the scene:

The witness, who stopped at the scene, later told police that O’Rourke had tried to drive away from the scene.

O'Rourke - Police - Breathalyzers - Limit - Texas

O’Rourke recorded a 0.136 and 0.134 on police breathalyzers, well above the legal limit of 0.08 in Texas. He was arrested at the scene and charged with DWI, but completed a court-approved diversion program and had the charges dismissed.

In a statement Thursday, O’Rourke did not address the witness account of his alleged attempt to flee.

Drunk - DWI - O'Rourke - Years

"I drove drunk and was arrested for a DWI in 1998," O’Rourke said. "As I've publicly discussed over the last 20 years, I made a serious...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Washington Free Beacon
Wake Up To Breaking News!