Thomas Lennon on His Rare Leading Role in ‘Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich,’ Plus Updates on ‘Cannonball Run’ and the ‘Reno 911’ Sequel [Interview]

/Film | 8/24/2018 | Fred Topel
Click For Photo: https://d13ezvd6yrslxm.cloudfront.net/wp/wp-content/images/thomas-lennon-interview.jpg

Usually, when Thomas Lennon shows up in a movie, it’s to be the comic relief. He does have the comedic cred, coming from The State and creating Reno 911!, and you just know how Hollywood likes to put actors in a box. So it’s sort of a coup that Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich cast him not only as the lead actor, but as a serious leading man.

Edgar (Lennon) works in a comic book shop and comes into possession of one of Andre Toulon’s evil puppets. Once he discovers the root of their evil, he tries to stop them. But if the previous 12 Puppet Masters are any indication, this is a job that will take much longer than one movie.

Lennon - /Film - Phone - Role - Puppet

Lennon spoke with /Film by phone about his role in Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich, now in theaters and VOD. Lennon is also a prolific screenwriter with his partner Robert Ben Garant, having recently written the screenplay to the Cannonball Run remake. He also offered us an update on the new Reno 911! movie.

Was Puppet Master a rare opportunity for you to have a lead role in a film?

Point - Career - Friend - Guy - Doctor

Well, that’s a very good point. If you’ve followed my career, I tend to play best friend of a very handsome guy, or doctor who has no name whatsoever, if you’ve noticed. Yeah, it was fun to play just a character who even has a name that’s not like Chief of Staff or Doctor.

How did it come about? Did they seek you out?

Script - Dallas - Sonnier - Producer - Script

Yes, they did. I got the script which came in from Dallas Sonnier, the producer. The script I thought was just completely insane. It’d be worth reading the script if you haven’t read the script just to see what a movie like that looks like on paper. I mostly just...
(Excerpt) Read more at: /Film
Wake Up To Breaking News!
With God all things are possible, but not probable.