‘Eighth Grade’ Is the ‘Boyhood’ of 2018: An Insightful Coming of Age Movie Worthy of All the Hype

TVOvermind | 8/19/2018 | Brian Hadsell
Click For Photo: https://www.tvovermind.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/16-1.jpg

You trudge along, dead-eyed, one foot in front of the other for so long against the movie industry, movie after movie listlessly passing you by along the way, that it’s so tragically easy to let something pass you by. There’s always another big release, another blockbuster or Oscar contender to chase on the horizon, that some of the best movies of the year fall by the wayside unseen, unremarked upon, having never made much of a splash at all.

Whether we like it or not, virtually everybody with even a passing interest in cinema has seen Black Panther (2018), Infinity War (2018), Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018) and any number of the now-annualized, crowd-pleasing, action epics the clog up the plumbing every summer. Whether we like it or not, just about anybody who considers themselves cinephiles will see movies like BlacKkKlansman (2018), If Beale Street Could Talk (2018), First Man (2018) and On the Basis of Sex (2018) before the year’s end in order to prep for the movie industry’s big night this February. And, wther we like it or not, next to nobody will see (let alone remember by the time Oscar ballots go out) amazing movies like Sorry to Bother You (2018) and Eighth Grade (2018).

Point - Shame - Movies - Movies - Years

And that last point is a real shame, because these movies are easily among the best movies to come out in years – let alone in 2018 – and their inevitable exclusion during awards season will be a black mark on the entire industry as far as I’m concerned. Along with this year’s Hereditary (for which I still hold out some hope come Oscar season), they are remarkable debut films from astoundingly talented and refreshingly unique filmmakers who I hope to be seeing a lot more from in the near future.

Of these fresh-faced films...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TVOvermind
Wake Up To Breaking News!