Linger Long over Your Bible

Desiring God | 5/25/2008 | John Piper
srqlolo (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://dg.imgix.net/don-t-just-read-your-bible-yvmlmuzd-en/landscape/don-t-just-read-your-bible-yvmlmuzd-2cbb8df7c8cfcd1ac8e9048ba55d90a4.jpg?ts=1533743154&ixlib=rails-2.1.4&w=800&h=450&auto=format,compress&fit=min

We are like trees bearing fruit, not laborers picking fruit. To use Paul’s language: the fruit is the fruit of the Spirit, not the works of the law. The one who meditates on the law of the Lord day and night and finds his delight in the truth of God, man, and life revealed through the instruction of God, “he is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers” (Psalm 1:3). It is absolutely essential that we understand that the Christian life is fruit-bearing, not fruit-picking.

We’re not laborers, we’re trees. We have roots down by rivers. Our life is coming from a river. It’s coming from streams. It’s coming up, and fruit is growing as we live by the river. You don’t fight legalistically. You don’t make your list and say, “Wickedness, no. Sin, no. Scoffer, no. Kept the list. It’s in my pocket, and I’ll get it out when I’m tempted.” But that’s not the way it works.

Psalm - Way - Word - God - Ways

Psalm 1:3 says the way it works is that when you go to the word and you see God and all his ways and works in faithfulness spread out there before you, it’s like sending your roots down into a stream, and life comes up and you’re shaped in your thinking and your feeling, and fruit comes out. And if it’s not coming out, you don’t pluck yourself up and start walking around going to the fruit store. You just say, “What’s wrong? There’s a river...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Desiring God
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: