New Article on Artificial Wisdom, i.e. the Intersection of Ethics and Computer Science

Kota79Kota79 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: http://wp.production.patheos.com/blogs/sites/719/2018/08/the_three_laws_of_robotics.png

An article that my colleague Ankur Gupta and I wrote together, exploring the intersection of science fiction, artificial intelligence, wisdom, ethics, and religion, has appeared in a special issue of the journal Religions. The special issue is titled “So Say We All: Religion and Society in Science Fiction” and our article has the title “Writing a Moral Code: Algorithms for Ethical Reasoning by Humans and Machines.” Here’s the abstract:

The moral and ethical challenges of living in community pertain not only to the intersection of human beings one with another, but also our interactions with our machine creations. This article explores the philosophical and theological framework for reasoning and decision-making through the lens of science fiction, religion, and artificial intelligence (both real and imagined). In comparing the programming of autonomous machines with human ethical deliberation, we discover that both depend on a concrete ordering of priorities derived from a clearly defined value system.

Journal - Website - Thing - Online - Article

Visit the journal’s website to read the whole thing online or download the article in pdf format.

If the article seems too long to keep your interest, the XKCD cartoon below about Asimov’s Three Laws of Robotics sums up one crucial point that...
Wake Up To Breaking News!
The truth fairly and honestly presented, will be spun as a lie by a politician.