Sex on the Silver Screen: Reader Follow-up

Tim Challies | 8/9/2018 | Staff
Pumpkinajn (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.challies.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Challies-LettersToEditor-940x492.jpg

I recently wrote another entry in my ongoing series Sex on the Silver Screen (this one titled A Scenario to Consider). I laid out a scenario, asked some questions, and invited readers to submit a Letter to the Editor as a means of fostering dialog about the topic. As promised, here are some of the representative responses I received.

To answer your questions about how I would feel if my spouse participated in a sex scene: I would feel very strange, if not repelled by the idea. And I cannot imagine my church friends or pastors doing such things. Even if I was part of the Hollywood filmmaking world, and could convince myself that it was all make believe, I would still be uncomfortable with the idea of my husband participating in a vicarious affair like that. “Vicarious” and “virtual” both mean looking like you are doing something, without really doing it. That is why I personally stay away from R movies (though the ratings aren’t always reliable). It is hard nowadays to find movies with intricate storylines and interesting characters which do not have some degree of sex scene. A similar problem is horrible murders or rapes on the screen, and TV police shows in which the people describe what happened to them. The sex scenes feed fantasies, and can make one discontent with one’s ordinary life. Thank you for bringing this up. You are right to be concerned.

Loopholes - People - Shabbat - Restrictions - Article

I’ve sometimes been bemused to read about loopholes Jewish people use to get around Shabbat restrictions. Your article today helped me become aware that there might be a giant log in my own eye. Many of the defenses I instinctively reach for so I can keep movies or shows with sexual content don’t stand up to scrutiny when considered in this light.

This...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Tim Challies
Wake Up To Breaking News!