UNC health textbook ditches claims about cancer, Holocaust

Mail Online | 8/9/2018 | Associated Press
Omnista (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/08/09/06/4EF3876500000578-0-image-a-15_1533793795307.jpg

The University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill has revised a textbook for a required fitness course that called cancer 'a disease of choice' and included a theory asserting Holocaust victims failed to tap into their inner strength.

The university released a statement saying revisions to '21st Century Wellness' began in spring, in cooperation with the publisher, The News & Observer reported Tuesday.

University - Mention - Revision - Raleigh - Newspaper

The university had made no mention of a revision when the Raleigh newspaper asked about the online textbook's contents last month.

The textbook is part of online courseware sold by Perceivant to multiple universities, and was authored by two Brigham Young University faculty members.

Perceivant - Director - Collegiate - Partnerships - Joel

Perceivant's director of collegiate partnerships, Joel Davis, told the newspaper that its contracts allow universities to customize content based on its individual needs.

It's read by students in the one-credit course Lifetime Fitness, which assigns students reading material on lifestyles while incorporating physical activity.

Undergraduates - Class - Year

It's required of all undergraduates, with nearly 5,000 taking the class each year.

Student critics said the textbook didn't give enough attention to the genetic and societal factors that affect people's health, implying cancer, diabetes and cardiovascular problems were functions of people's choices.

Emphasis - Responsibility - People - Health - UNC

'There's an extreme emphasis on personal responsibility that pretty much explicitly blames people in poor health, which I thought was very problematic,' UNC alumnus Skye Golann said.

He said it's the one textbook that every UNC student has 'supposedly' read, and is not up to the university's...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!