The dying tribes of Vietnam: Clan members now smoke cigars and use Facebook on their iPhones

Mail Online | 8/6/2018 | Charlie Moore For Mailonline
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/08/06/12/4EDFEC6900000578-0-image-a-7_1533554836613.jpg

Life for Vietnam's 54 tribes is changing rapidly as globalisation and technology threaten their very existence.

Clans who once counted elephants as family now smoke cigars, use Facebook on their iPhones and have forgotten how to make their traditional costumes.

Nature - Life - Artist - Réhahn - Tribes

The changing nature of tribal life has been documented by French artist Réhahn who has photographed 49 of the 54 tribes in the country since 2011 and aims to capture the others this year.

In his project to photograph Vietnam's tribes, Réhahn has been particularly interested in capturing traditional costumes and clothing.

Traditions - Culture - Places - Cultures - Groups

'I'm very interested in ancient traditions and culture. In many places, these traditional cultures are fading. Around 10 of the 49 groups that I've met can't even make their traditional costumes any more, and many villages don't even have one.

'Elders are always worried to see their culture disappearing, but I often meet young people who don't care at all of their tradition. They use a phone and Facebook from a very young age.

Life - Price - Globalization - Culture - Photographer

'The life is better but it comes at a price: the globalization of the culture. As a photographer, I have the opportunity to record and document...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!