Pensioner forced to pay for private care after NHS scheme left him in agony

Mail Online | 7/28/2018 | Tom Witherow For The Daily Mail
moni (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/07/27/21/4EA1A61000000578-0-image-a-23_1532722448471.jpg

One of the first patients in a pioneering NHS scheme to have knee surgery abroad was left in excruciating pain by doctors who could not speak English.

Serge Orlov, 64, skipped a ten-month waiting list to have the operation in Calais but had to rely on a translation app when he suffered complications.

Businessman - Trips - France - Medics - Situation

The retired businessman made repeated trips to France but said medics could not clarify the situation because their English was not good enough.

They were left using Google Translate for complex medical language to try to explain that his pain was down to an unusual build-up of scar tissue.

Mr - Orlov - Walmer - Kent - Treatment

When Mr Orlov, of Walmer, Kent, begged for any further treatment to be carried out in England, he faced another lengthy NHS waiting list.

In despair and unable to walk because of the pain, he paid £3,200 to go private in the UK.

Mr - Orlov - Lottery - Scheme - NHS

At first, Mr Orlov thought he had ‘won the lottery’ with the scheme which outsources NHS work to allow 140 UK nationals to have surgery in France, where there were no waiting lists.

The treatment is free but they have to pay for travel.

Arthritis - Sufferer - Knee - Replacement - February

When the arthritis sufferer had the total knee replacement in February, the Centre Hospitalier de Calais was smart and he had a private room.

But then Mr Orlov was told he could not have the recommended rehabilitation programme because the NHS would not pay.

Hospital - Deal - Knee - Time - Meaning

The French hospital could also only deal with one knee at a time, meaning he would have to pay for more trips across the Channel.

‘Everything has gone very wrong and I’m extremely unhappy, not to...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: